Monday, May 25, 2015

Thank God! I am not a celebrity!

Nope. Its not triggered by sour grape feeling!

I really meant it.

I think women celebrities in our country are very unfortunate.  Why?

Because, in the online world, they get celebrated one minute and get virtually molested the next minute. Sometimes, by so many men at the same time. They don't get to share their photos or art work without getting abused (at least once). They can't joke without escaping from someone branding them selfish. They can't express their thoughts/opinions on social media without a comment from "I have a mobile. I have an online account. I follow you. So let me abuse you" category. They can't be human. They can't make mistakes. They can't celebrate their success. They can't be like you and me!

Thanks to FB & Twitter.

In the last couple of months, I got to witness certain such online experiences that some of our very talented women celebrities have encountered. These experiences have really made me wonder about the sensitivity and sensibility of the living generations! Yes, I said generations. From 15 year old boy to 70 year old man. Surprise! I can see all these abuses mostly from mars citizens! (Where art thou, Venusians?).

Don't get me wrong. The intention is not to blame one gender. But, to highlight the pattern that, such abuses seem to be primarily coming from the common man (men)!

So, who is this common man? If you look at their profiles, they are as normal as a normal person can be! They are someone's husband, brother, son, father, making a livelihood through some business. They love to visit celebrity profiles and leave their "mark" on that page. Well, what else did I expect them to be? Sigh!

This makes me wonder aloud, where, as a society are we going wrong? How do the men in our society end up with a thought that, they can abuse a celebrity online, the way they want and get away with it? What sheer pleasure are they getting by this "peek-a-boo" fantasy bullying? Does this make them feel empowered as "men"? Is that the psychological trigger behind those loose comments and idiotic one liners? Or is it coming from a space of jealousy with regard to the talent, money and the inferiority complex around it?

Well...

I can only wonder as I have neither answers nor solutions to this "not making sense" behavior of the fellow human beings.

Meanwhile....

I take a bow, ladies - for your talent, courage, wisdom to focus on positivity, ability to spread that wisdom and thriving to be successful and confident in this "maya" called celebrity worship!


PS - Thank God! I am not a celebrity!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment